What is Gastritis?
Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining that occurs as a result of injury to that protective lining. Potential causes of gastritis include:
- Viral infections
- High stress levels as from severe illness, burns, or trauma
- Overuse of NSAID medications such as ibuprofen and naproxen
- Steroid medications such as prednisone
- A bacteria called h.pylori
Symptoms of gastritis include:
- Stomach pain in the upper part of the belly
- Cramping and bloating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Decreased appetite or feeling full after a small meal
Gastritis Diagnosis and Treatment
Gastritis can usually be diagnosed by a doctor taking your medical history and doing physical exam. Sometimes your provider might want some blood work to rule out other causes of stomach pain.
For severe pain and pain that doesn’t get better with routine treatment, your child might need to have a special scope inserted through the mouth or nose to look at the stomach directly.
Gastritis can be treated with medications that either reduce the acid production in the stomach to permit the lining or medications that enhance the lining of the stomach.
Examples of antacid medications include:
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Magnesium hydroxide
- Calcium carbonate
If the bacteria h. pylori is the cause, then antibiotic treatment is appropriate.
Check in with K If…
- You have general questions about your child’s condition
- You want general followup for your child
- You have questions about supportive care
- Your child’s symptoms don’t go away after treatment but are not alarming
See a Doctor in Person If…
- Stomach pain becomes severe
- If your child is unable to eat or drink
- If your child vomits blood or has black, tarry stools
- If your child seems really tired or lethargic
K Health articles are all written and reviewed by MDs, PhDs, NPs, or PharmDs and are for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute and should not be relied on for professional medical advice. Always talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of any treatment.